Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Oliver and S Sunny Day Shorts and other things

I have the itch to sew again, but I'm finding that I don't have much time these days. Something about parenting a child does that to you. Most of the time, I find myself zoning out on the couch after she goes to bed because I myself am tired after a full day of work at my job plus the other hours of the day where I am being a mom. I don't drink, so I pretty much just veg out with the iPad or a book (but usually a book on the iPad).

Last week, I found a bit of time to myself and sewed up a pair of Sunny Day Shorts from Oliver and S. Sewing shorts for little people is HARD. The leg openings are tiny and barely fit around the arm of my sewing machine, but I got it done and they are CUTE. You're just going to have to take my word for it until I take some pictures of the shorts themselves. I have a picture of them on my girl, but I don't want to plaster her face all over this blog just yet. She's my squishy bit and I'm not ready to share her.

I sewed the shorts out of the Lisette Aqua Dots fabric that I used for my last Family Reunion Dress. I had high hopes of making a matching mommy/daughter outfit, but they were squashed when I didn't have enough fabric for my pair. Oh well. Maybe next time. I really like the way this fabric sews, and I'm really really sad that none of my area Joann's have any more in stock (trust me, I called). It's a nice chambray with excellent drape, and these shorts are perfectly preppy while being a good length for an almost crawling baby. I guestimated the size of her waist since it was after bedtime and cut the elastic about two inches shorter than the pattern called for. Little miss is short and stocky like her daddy, so it worked out well. I also sewed a 1.5" hem instead of a 1" hem, but next time I make these I will just shorten the pattern by half an inch. By doing it the way I did, there are a few small puckers on the hem.

What else have I been in to? Well, I have decided to get serious about whipping my saggy mom body into running shape again. I've signed up for two half marathons this fall and it's about time to start training for them. The bit and I have been running after work, and on other days I've been doing workout videos on Fitness Blender. I also take a weekly barre class either at my favorite barre studio or at the gym.

So that's what's going on. I'm thinking about submitting a mini-quilt to the state fair, so I need to get cracking on that. There is also a little project I'm going to start on for my stitch swap! Good things are coming to the blog!

2 comments:

  1. Mine are a bit older now, but I remember the satisfaction of sewing for them when they were little. The half marathon training sounds like a great time to carve out for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel about just vegging after the kiddo goes to bed. When I get my 2 to bed I just want to sit and do nothing for a while. Good luck with the half-marathon training.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS