Pages

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Another Family Reunion Dress

I've got the fever, and the prescription is...more Family Reunion Dresses!

Sorry. I'm corny. You've been warned.

When I posted about my daughter's Easter dress on Instagram, a friend of mine asked me to make her one. I don't think she thought I'd actually do it, but when she said that, I decided to surprise her with a dress for her own sweet girl. Because I work FT outside of the home, it took me awhile to actually get on it. But I found the perfect fabric at Joann's, and I bought all that they had to make a dress for my girl as well. I can't find it online, but it's Lisette Aqua Dots chambray. I didn't pre-wash it, just because so much of my time is taken up with cloth diaper laundry.

One thing I did this time was to print out the pattern on my home printer and tape it together. Last time, I had it printed at Staples and they don't print on big enough paper, so all the sizes were graded down. Once I got it taped together, I traced the 2T size and cut it out. I made this version with the sleeves, and it was a lot easier than I imagined beforehand. I love it when that happens. As I did last time, I sewed pleats instead of pin tucks. The fabric is subtly busy, so I thought that it would look better that way.


The front of the dress. I added the lace instead of the button tab.


The back. I bound the buttonholes by machine and sewed the buttons by hand.


The hem facing. I only had about 3/4 of a yard to work with, so I chose a complimentary fabric for the facing.

All in all, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. My friend really liked it, and I was glad to bless her with a beautiful handmade dress. I'm looking forward to making another family reunion dress for my daughter since she has outgrown the first one. It will be in the same fabric as the gifted one, but I want to make it sleeveless and try out a few lace details around the armholes. We'll see how it turns out.

 *I promise that I have a real camera, it's just hanging out with my husband while he works.

2 comments:

  1. I love Oliver and S patterns, and this dress turned out sweet as pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this sweet dress!! Great job!! I love using a different fabric for the hem facing, it is like a little secret surprise.

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS