Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Sewing for Myself: The Everyday Skirt Pattern from Liesl & Co.

So, a few nights here and there, I've actually had the energy and time to craft. A few months ago, I bought the Everyday Skirt pattern from Liesl & Co. I had been drooling over this skirt for months, but didn't want to buy it while I was still pregnant. I bit the bullet and bought it. At first, I got this gray fabric to make a winter version, but the quality was so poor that I scrapped everything. Luckily, I had a yard and a half of polka dot fabric I bought in the fall when I visited Morehead, and it was just enough to make the skirt. Seriously, it was a tight squeeze to fit the pattern on there. I'm so happy with how it turned out and that it's warm enough to finally wear it!


For this version, I made the large size, but it's almost too loose (a great problem to have when you are six months postpartum). It slides around a bunch on my frame, even though the back is elastic. I want to make several more of these so that I can live in them at work this summer.

The pattern sews up really easily and looks really professional. I love that about Liesl & Co./Oliver & S patterns! It's like a sewing lesson in a pattern. This is the first garment I've made for myself since the ill-fated Halloween costume of 2006. I'm more confident in sewing for myself now, especially because it looks good!

I think I'm going to try to make a knit version to hang out in on the weekends. I have a striped knit left over from making my nursing shawl (that I never use), so I'm going to try that. I'll probably size that one down to a medium as well.

5 comments:

  1. Great fabric! I love polka dots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polka dots - so springy and fresh! Now you have a fun new skirt to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Knits are my favorite though, so I hope you try that soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cute skirt! Share the knit version when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute! I am a sucker for polka dots!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS